Here at BRAJAR Roofing Solutions, we often get calls asking us whether a particular symptom means that roof repair is adequate or if there is a higher likelihood that a replacement roof will be necessary. Generally speaking, the symptoms can be much the same, so it takes a comprehensive inspection to determine the extent of the problem. Once the cost for roof repair becomes significant or the age of the roof is past its anticipated lifespan, replacement tends to make more sense. Here are some signs to watch out for and things we look for when doing an inspection that can indicate it’s time for roof repair or replacement.
- Ceiling Stains- Unless someone has opened a bottle of bubbly and the cork hit the ceiling or a similar situation has happened with a carbonated drink, a stain on the ceiling is coming from above and often indicative of a roof leak that needs immediate attention.
- Damaged Shingles- We recommend inspecting your shingle roof after storms to see if any shingles were loosened by windy conditions. If getting on a ladder is riskier than you are comfortable with, call us for a roof inspection. Keep in mind that not all damage causes torn shingles– hail can leave dents and punctures that should be repaired as the protective layer of granules has been affected.
- Soffits are Dirty- If you look at the soffits and they are dirty and clogged, it could be that insulation has shifted onto them or was installed that way in error. Without proper ventilation, moisture will build up in the attic and result in mold. While this doesn’t mean your roofing needs to be repaired or replaced yet, it could in time because of the lack of ventilation.
- Mold- Check for mold on your roof, particularly in places where the edge meets a sidewall, as this is a sign that water is accumulating and possibly causing rot because flashing isn’t being effective and should be replaced. Mold on the exterior of your home is also an indication of moisture issues due to a roof leak.
- Gutter Issues- Your home’s gutters must be properly affixed and in top condition to direct water away from your home. Problematic gutters can result in roof damage, as well as be a sign that there is damage already causing the gutters to pull away due to rotten wood.
- Unrepaired Holes- If you have had a satellite dish or other rooftop bracket removed, be sure that the company doing it repairs the holes left behind. It is a good idea to check it out even if they say they took care of it to be sure it was done effectively.
- Humidity Issues- If you are finding your power bill in the summer is steadily climbing and your air conditioner is struggling to control humidity, something is causing your home to have higher humidity. If it isn’t unseasonably wet weather, you may have a hidden roof leak that needs to be resolved.